Search This Blog

Thursday 24 May 2012

There's No Accounting For Taste

Pin It
hmmmmmm
I lived off peanut butter from early childhood until I became pregnant with my first son, almost 7 years ago.

When I started to dislike it while I was pregnant, I figured my love affair would resume once I gave birth.  To my surprise, the smell still repulsed me, and the taste would make me gag.  Except for Reese's Pieces.  Those were always good.

A few months ago, I'm sitting in my living room watching television and start to wonder what I could eat... Suddenly I think about my old staple:  Peanut butter and butter sandwhich (you smear butter on top of the peanut butter and mix them together... it makes it extra creamy - and yummy).

So I'm sitting there and I swear, it's been 6 years since this thought has even crossed my mind, so I'm like: "What?!"


  My first thought is this is impossible, my mind is playing tricks on me.  I'll get up and go smell the jar and then my nose will remember we don't like the stuff anymore.

I get up off the couch, moving kind of slowly, I know this is silly, but it feels like I'm in the twilight zone.  I don't say anything to Barry, I walk over to the cupboard to pull out the PB and open the jar to take a whiff, fully expecting to gag, but I don't gag.  The smell is heavenly.  Further confused.  I take a little taste, still unsure whether I will like it.  I don't like it, I love it.

Shoot.  No.  What's Happening?  What does this mean?  Am I pregnant?!

Nope, not pregnant.  So what happened?

What makes our tastes change?  Why do we start to like foods we didn't and stop liking the one's we did?






No comments:

Post a Comment