Search This Blog

Saturday 22 October 2011

You're My Best Friend (For Ever)

Pin It
This is a repost from ThoughtCatalog.com, because author Ryan O'Connell really hit the nail on the head with this one, and I was moved as I was reminded of my relationship with my own best friend.

For almost fifteen years now, we've been weathering the storms together, some worse than others.  Not girls, not yet women when we met each other, we have grown up together.

From you I have no secrets, and with you I've never been afraid to be myself.  You make me feel as though I am awesome, and the rest of the world has a problem.

Words are often unnecessary when we are together, as we seem to know instantly what the other is thinking... or are thinking the same thoughts.  You have stuck by me through all these years and all my crap and stepped out of your comfort zone more times than I can count to support me in one way or another.    Somehow when we both feel like we're drowning, we find a way to keep each other afloat.

You always make me laugh (and always have), and more importantly, you laugh at my jokes ;)


I love you more than words could ever say, and would be completely lost without you, so for all these reasons and more...


We’re best friends because you get it. I’m not sure what that means (it’s all so vague) but whatever it is, you have it. I don’t need to explain anything to you or worry if you’ll get the joke. You already got it and are on your way to making the next one. Thanks, babe! You really make socializing a lot easier for me.

We’re best friends because you love me even when I’m terrible. It’s easy to love someone when they’re doing well, it’s easy when there’s nothing but happiness and good vibes. The real challenge comes when everything is crap. You’re not a fun person to be around, people are screening your number and you’re a damn social pariah. But you don’t care. Even at my most Carrie Bradshaw, you’re still down to get brunch with me and talk about dicks.

We’re best friends because you never make me uncomfortable. I think about most of my friends and realize that they’ve made me feel weird at some point in our friendship. Whether it’s from an awkward silence or an off-color remark, I’ve felt unsure about them. Not you though. I always know that you make sense and that this makes sense.

We’re best friends because we can go for long stretches of time without talking and it won’t damage the relationship. We always pick up where we left off. Surfaces changes mean nothing to us. You could become a vegan who goes by Moonshadow and attends Burning Man, and I would still feel closer to you than anyone else. We don’t need common interests in order to connect. We don’t need a mutual love of music or sports or whatever to keep us together.

We’re best friends because you don’t get resentful or jealous if I get into a relationship or land an amazing job. I mean, maybe you are and that’s fine. The important thing is that you keep it to yourself like a best friend should.

You’re my best friend because you’re not afraid to call me out on my crap or disagree with me. I can’t get away with anything when I’m with you. You’ll tell me things that I need to hear but everyone else is too afraid to tell me. Your honesty is so damn refreshing albeit a bitter pill to swallow sometimes.

We’re best friends because you make feel less alone in this psycho, flaky world. It’s amazing how often you can feel disconnected from people. It’s amazing how many people can betray you, or fail to understand the words that are coming out of your mouth. When I see you, it’s a burst of reassurance that I’m not the only who looks at the world this way. There’s someone else. And that someone is you.


I hope this reminds you of your own best friend, and of the importance of friendship.

Much Love, 
Felicia

6 comments:

  1. well im a guy-and you know guys pull nutty stuff on each other-but it is cool to have a best friend-they are few and far between

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me sad. I lost my best friend. She didn't die, she betrayed me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je t'aime ma CHUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about your friend anonymous... nothing can ever replace them in our hearts.

    @other anonymous... moi aussi je t'aime xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, best friend, they are totally awesome,
    I can't imagine myself without one... They rock!

    - Regina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you agree Regina can't imagine my life without her!

    ReplyDelete