Search This Blog

Sunday 19 October 2014

It's a beautiful life and it's only getting better

Pin It
I was writng a facebook post for my page but it turned in to a chapter, so I decided to post here instead :)

I am feeling very blessed this week as many good things have come my way. A client who bought a box from me after seeing a work in progress photo on my facebook page was so unbelievably kind to me when she received it, posting several facebook messages in various groups and on her status to rave about my boxes and even wrote me a beautiful review on Etsy, which is so good for building customer confidence in my budding store. What an amazing feeling, I am so happy to be able to bring someone so much joy AND pay a bill or two. Talk about getting two birds with one stone!

My Time Fairy business landed its first web related contract out of left field, which is wonderful, as I've been wanting to get a plan together for a while now to offer my services to small businesses. I'm creating or managing all of their social accounts, getting them started by following people, redesigning the website (it's a plug and play website - I don't write code!), reviewing and editing all texts and store listings and finally connecting all of these lovely sites together with uniform branding and all of the necessary widgets. 

That would be a really long title for a service, but I'm still not sure what to call it. Creating a web presence? Branding? Your suggestions are more than welcome!

I probably didn't charge her enough, but I don't mind because it's great experience and I really want to do a great job and keep it affordable so I stay accessible to micro businesses.  I'm at a place where I'm so happy to be reaching some of my goals that I'm not feeling greedy... I just want to spread the success and help others by sharing what I know while still providing a decent life for my family.  

My customer got a bonus logo redesign because my OCD took over and I just had to do it. Again, no matter... It's beautiful and it's professional experience other than creating my own (which I'm very proud of)  which will allow me to point my potential customers towards a product I can also be proud of and generate more business. 

There's more!

My face-painting company "La Fée Licia" landed it's very first major corporate contract for this weekend - I almost fainted from excitement! :)

I needed three to four girls and found them within a few hours through all of the amazing new connections I made this summer. (And one very old connection - a friend from high school I was convinced would be good at this. I finally got her to accept a contract and face her fears and I'm so happy because I was so right and she did as well on her first day as I was doing after a couple of years, and I'm pretty sure she really enjoyed her day to boot. 

Well I mean it pays really well and she got to spend the day with me, what's not to like? Lol! Totally kidding of course, I'm feeling  playful... Can you tell?

I'm touched by how great the girls have been too. I asked them to make sure they painted their own faces and to wear something colourful, making sure they looked like they were part of the animation team, and I was surprised by how into it they got, and how much they wanted to do a good job. It was cold today so pretty fairy princess dresses were out of the question, but I have this vision of an army of fairy princess in my mind and a fantastic contact that has promised me a lot of work. 

And finally... I had a great time today at my contract, the loveliest of evenings so far with my family and have my first art fair of the season tomorrow. I'm very excited to show off my new collections. My jewelry has taken a step-up since last year and my boxes are pretty in pictures, but simply beautiful and intriguing in person. The effects of the mica changing colours with the light are impossible to capture!  

I have never been this confident in my own creations and think (hope) it will show tomorrow and it will be much easier for me to talk to my customers, as I feel more sure of my product and even my prices since I started running everything through a standardized price calculator I made myself. 

I've always sort of believed in myself, but now I'm starting to really believe in myself, and believe that my dream life is accessible. I don't necessarily want to be wealthy (though it would be nice to have enough to live well and spread the love.) I just want to make enough to maintain the life that I have, and maybe a touch more so that I can get the kids into extra curricular activities and afford a few luxuries. You know, like dentists. lol

When I found out I was losing my position in my so-called cushy job, my first reaction was to be upset. (I guess that used be my first reaction to a lot of things but anywho)

Then I remembered how much I hated the job in the first place and realized what a blessing this was. I had options, and one of them was a decent severance package, so I decided to take the money and run. I said "I'll take all of my talents and combine them to make a living!"

I have been working 12, 14,16 and even a couple of 20 hour days over the past few months. I've neglecting my kids and other relationships, (not to mention myself) but I'm seeing results and I'm elated that my dreams are all within arms reach. I'll rest later.

I'm very lucky to have very strong relationships with people who understand that I love them just as much and are patiently waiting in the background as they root for me and do what they can to help me reach my goals. 

As for the kids, I still make sure to get my story time with them every night. A minimum of fifteen straight minutes (often they stretch that to more like thirty) of my undivided attention. 

Just the three of us, quietly cuddled up in bed.  It is still the highlight of my day, and a constant reminder of what I'm working for. They have voiced their displeasure over the lack of attention, but I've taken the time to explain what I'm doing and that sometimes you have to make huge sacrifices in order to reach our goals. We are losing time together now but building towards a better life and more quality time.  In a couple of years, we'll be in a good place, and I'll be content, making a decent living through my various ventures, helping or bringing joy (or both!) to people along the way and continuing to live a life that may not be perfect, but that I'm finally generally happy in. 

Nothing will bring me peace of mind like the certainty that I will never have to accept a boring, mind numbing office job again. 

Artists and routines just don't mix, and I have never felt better than since I stopped trying to make myself fit in that box just because it was the safest choice, the most possible money and best benefits...

Money and benefits don't do squat for you when you're slowly dying inside!

When I step back and take a look at where I was and where I'm at, there are no words. 

It's like I was a completely different person and even I don't recognize her. Heck, it's hard to remember being her. It's been such a long journey but I realize every day that someone up there is on my side and wants to see me succeed. 

I have been sent so many absolute Angels on my path over the past few years, and even my customers are amazing, kind, patient and understanding.  They make me ashamed of how ungenerous I have been in the past in my judgement of businesses and my lack of empathy... and it's not quite the term I want to use but the "sense of entitlement" I've displayed in the past.

All of these people (clients, colleagues, new friends whether online or in person) along with my wonderful friends and family have me feeling like the luckiest girl on earth and like I can do absolutely anything I set my mind on. 

There have been many obstacles, and I've had to rethink the plan a few times, but I continue to think of news ways to generate income and push my three businesses to succeed and I know that if I just keep swimming, I'm going to get where I'm going. 

Thanks for reading, I'd really love to hear your thoughts. You don't need to have a google account or sign in to anything to leave a comment, you can leave it as anonymous (do include your name and website if your have one and want to, I'd love to check it out!)

Thanking the heavens and all the kind helper angels here and up above who have been helping me create this wonderful, seemingly charmed life. Wishing you all so much love and happiness xxoo 





No comments:

Post a Comment