Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Remembrance Day, Forgotten

Pin It Hiyaaa... So glad you could come by... (shuffles uncomfortably)

Um, I know you were coming here expecting some great funny story, or maybe a rant, some cool thing I saw on the internet... but um, I'm feeling kind of unprepared for your visit tonight.  I got nadda.  I don't know what to talk about.  I've got 20 drafts sitting, waiting to be developed.  At least 50 more filling up my notebook waiting to be brought to life.

But tonight?  None of them feel right.  Nothing's striking my fancy.

(uncomfortable silence)

Ok, I see you're not really willing to accept this as an answer, so since I don't want you to feel that your visit here is a total bust...  I drew you a picture:


To tell you the truth, I was suppose to post it in on Remembrance Day, this past Friday, Nov 11 in Canada... but I forgot.  How's that for irony?  I didn't forget about the day, just about the post I'd planned.

I was going to use this picture, and feature the poem "In Flanders Field" by John McRae, written in 1915, during the first World War.  Better late than never they say, so here it is for you:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

It doesn't have to be Remembrance Day, or Memorial Day in the US, in order for us to remember and give thanks for the thousands upon thousands of young men who risked or even gave their lives so that our countries could continue to prosper and that we could continue to enjoy the freedom which is the right of any human being.

If you're new around here, you might not have read my Grandfather's poetry from WWII... you should really check it out.  The artist's soul is a shared trait within my clan.

And I thought I had nothing to say.

Felicia ;)

PS: Did you know? Felicianation is ever growing, and I recently added a niche blog celebrating art in all it's mediums... check it out!  amazingartfinds.blogspot.com

If you still haven't had enough of me, you could check out these previous posts, some of my personal favourites:

I may be crazy, but you're insane!
A PSA for Teenage Girls
Passenger: A revealing look into the crazy/beautiful mind of Felicia Stevenson





No comments:

Post a Comment